Your question is so apt in today’s economy and I would like to take the opportunity of answering it based on my business experience. As you have not specified your line of business hence I will share some key factors to plan your Social Media Marketing strategy (SMM) and you can align them to your product/ service accordingly.
Social media in a nutshell is about connecting, building relationships and getting traffic from social media networks. Social Media Marketing is promotion of products and services on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, youtube etc. to gain traffic/attention.
Following are my points which are interlinked to each other, to kick start your SMM strategy -
1. GOAL – First & foremost step is to decide what do you want to achieve through SMM. Is it Brand awareness, Reach, Sales, generating traffic to your website or building customer relationship? Ask yourself what do you want to get out of social media participation? Your goal will greatly affect the type of content you publish and the activities you participate in on the social Web. When you are clear on your goal, you will be able to properly plan on how to achieve your goal. You can also consider doing paid social media promotion to achieve these goals.
2. TARGET AUDIENCE - Who are your potential customers, you want to attract? Where does your target audience spend time online? What kind of content and conversations does the audience get most vocal about? What kind of information do they want from you? What do they ignore? This information will help plan content they find useful and interesting. You as a business entity should be approachable and accessible, for them to interact with you. So figure out who is your audience.
3. GOOD CONTENT – It’s the era of quickness, so is the attention span of your potential customer. They will only spend more seconds on your content if it is relevant, consistent, appealing and engaging at an emotional level. Audience engagement is a key factor. Good content is seen as sharable as well. You need to consistently offer your audience amazing content, which also comes in the form of conversations. This creates loyal following of people who trust you as a source that can meet their needs and expectations.
4. SCHEDULE – Time your posts well. It is important to identify the day and time to post your content, which can increase or decrease your engagement. Social Media Calendar tools like Sprout social or Coschedule are helpful in scheduling your contents beforehand. I would recommend few weeks of research will give insight on timing.
5. INTEGRATED MARKETING – It’s a wise move to experiment on multiple platforms to market by posting your content. Apps like Buffer, Hootsuite help automate your efforts. Cross promote your efforts both online and offline, and ensure both work together seamlessly. At the end, all your efforts in social media marketing should feed off each other. Consumers interaction with a brand should be Omni-channel and multi-device.
6. UPGRADE– Being on top of your act is integral to sustain your marketing efforts. Either hire a professional to handle or keep learning and upgrading yourself to be effective in your marketing style.
I hope I was able to give you a roadmap on how to start SMM for your business. In case, you need further assistance with identifying above points for your business, feel free to plan a call with me. Thank you for your time.