Hello we are Americans who bought a home in Portugal in 2017. Can you help us file our taxes? My husband is retired with an NHR. Mine was denied.

Our income all come from the US. I am a psychologist.


I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have about filing taxes as Americans who own property in Portugal. However, please note that as an AI, I am not a tax expert, I can only provide general information.
It's important to know that the rules for filing taxes as a foreigner in a different country can vary widely, and it's best to consult with a tax professional or financial advisor who is familiar with the tax laws of both the US and Portugal.

It is possible that with your husband's NHR status he might not need to pay taxes on some of his pension income in Portugal, but you should clarify this with a tax professional. However, you can talk with a professional or research on the US-Portugal tax treaty and see if there's any tax treaty relief available. It's also important to know that US citizens are required to file US taxes no matter where they live and must report foreign income, assets and bank accounts as well.

In general, it's advisable to seek professional help to ensure that you are in compliance with the tax laws of both countries and to ensure that you are taking advantage of any available tax treaty relief.

Answered 2 years ago

When it comes to filing taxes as an American living abroad, it can be a complex process, and you may need to seek assistance from a tax professional who is experienced with international tax laws.

One option is to find a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Enrolled Agent (EA) who specializes in international tax issues. They can help you navigate the complexities of filing taxes as an American living abroad and ensure that you are in compliance with both US and Portuguese tax laws.

You may also want to consider reaching out to the American Citizens Abroad (ACA) or the IRS's Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for additional guidance and support.

It is important to note that if you are a US citizen or green card holder, you are required to file a US tax return every year, regardless of where you live and where your income is earned. The rules around claiming the Foreign Tax Credit and other benefits can be complex, so it is important to seek the help of a qualified tax professional to ensure that you are meeting all of your tax obligations.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your tax filings

Answered a year ago

Tax regulations can be complex and subject to change. It's crucial to consult with a tax professional or accountant who is familiar with both U.S. and Portuguese tax laws to get accurate and up-to-date advice tailored to your specific situation.

However, I can provide some general information that may be relevant to your question:

Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) Status:

The American who has been granted NHR status in Portugal may benefit from certain tax exemptions on foreign-sourced income for a specific period, generally for ten years. This could include exemptions on pension income.
Taxation of Income in the U.S.:

Both individuals will likely need to file U.S. federal tax returns. The United States taxes its citizens on their worldwide income, regardless of where they live. This includes income earned in Portugal, if any.
Taxation of Income in Portugal:

The American with NHR status may have a more favorable tax treatment in Portugal. It's essential to understand the specific rules and benefits associated with NHR status, as they can vary.
Psychologist's Income:

The income earned by the psychologist in the U.S. may be subject to taxation in both the U.S. and Portugal. Tax treaties between the two countries may provide relief from double taxation, but the specifics will depend on the treaty terms.
Denied NHR Status:

The American who was denied NHR status may be subject to regular Portuguese tax rules. They will need to report their worldwide income to the Portuguese tax authorities. Understanding the tax implications and any available deductions is crucial.
Foreign Tax Credits and Exclusions:

The U.S. provides mechanisms such as the Foreign Tax Credit or the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion to reduce or eliminate double taxation. These options should be explored and applied appropriately.
Reporting Requirements:

Both individuals may have additional reporting requirements, such as the Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) and Form 8938 for foreign financial assets. These are necessary to comply with U.S. tax laws.

Answered 8 months ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2024 LLC. All rights reserved.