How can one file an EIN without an SSN/ITIN?

I'm non US resident but have formed an LLC in WY and now I need to obtain an EIN. Having no SSN/ITIN or other LLC's EIN it is somehow difficult. On the other hand applying online takes 7 minutes. Can anybody help me? I will pay for your assistance but need the EIN by Monday.


You should retain a lawyer, or another qualified individual, to act as the third party designee for the corporation (if you do not have a partner or co-owner who is a US citizen).
The designee should prepare Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number) and Form 8821 (Tax Information Authorization) for the corporation’s president to sign and return.

Answered 6 years ago

You need an ITIN before you can get an EIN.

To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ( . The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the address shown in the Form W-7 Instructions, present it at IRS walk-in offices, or process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.

The EIN is then a 5 minute online process at

Answered 6 years ago

I've never heard of this problem. Usually you need to tie a personal social to the ein. It is possible that since you have a Secretary of State number that we could use that but would have to dig into it.

Answered 6 years ago

You do not need a SSN or ITIN to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN).

I have obtained EIN’s for multiple foreign clients without Social Security Numbers or ITIN.

In my post,, I provide detailed instructions that anyone can use to apply for an EIN as a foreign business without a Social Security Number or ITIN.

Best of luck!

Answered 5 years ago

If you are a nonresident for U.S. tax purposes, you do not need an ITIN or an SSN to apply for an EIN for an entity.
The online application process is the fastest, but this system is not available for nonresidents. You need to download and fill out a Form SS-4 for your company and name yourself as the responsible party. In the field where it asks for your "SSN, ITIN, or EIN" enter the word "FOREIGN" to indicate you are a nonresident. Mail or fax the completed form to the IRS and wait for them to assign your EIN. Alternatively, you can contact the IRS via phone and fax the form to the representative once they provide you with their dedicated fax number.

Answered a year ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2020 LLC. All rights reserved.